JOB TITLE: Legal Assistant
HOURS: Full time, 40 hours/week
CATEGORY: Hourly, Non- Exempt
REPORTS TO: Legal Director
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Provide support, in a manner consistent with the mission of WRC and in full compliance with all policies and procedures of the agency, for the legal staff in the performance of their duties. Act as a receptionist and office manager for the Justice Center.
- *Answer telephone, take necessary messages, maintain records of calls, expedite crisis calls, and route messages to appropriate staff members.
- *Greet program participants and visitors in a professional and courteous manner.
- *Responsible for incoming and outgoing correspondence.
- *Maintain agency records and filing system. Assist Legal Director with maintaining all necessary grant materials.
- *Draft correspondence as needed.
- *Maintain Justice Center and court schedules and calendar.
- *Order and organize office supplies, maintain equipment and schedule repairs.
- *Responsible for the scribing of legal committee minutes and dissemination of the same; maintain email addresses for members.
- *Support the Justice Center staff in the production of presentation materials for public distribution and for internal use.
- Schedule and arrange meetings as assigned.
- Make travel and other arrangements for conferences and other activities.
- *Assist Justice Center staff in obtaining documents, evidence and other related materials necessary for legal representation.
- *Attend staff meetings; participate in in-service trainings and professional activities as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned to ensure efficient services to legal clients.
LEGAL ASSISTANT QUALIFICATIONS :
Associate degree or similar practical experience. Paralegal or legal assistant certificate preferred.
A minimum of 3 years experience in secretarial role or legal assistance experience. Experience in a litigation, family law practice or in a public interest firm is preferred.
Must pass Act 33, Act 34, and FBI background clearances.
Bi-Lingual person with ability to speak language other than English preferred.
Fundamental understanding of office methods, procedures, practices.
Must be proficient with computers. Knowledge of a wide variety of software is of significant importance, including Word, Excel, and Amicus Small Business Firm.
Knowledge of social media forums.
Ability to perform basic clerical work involving judgment, accuracy, and speed with minimal supervision.
Ability to maintain highly organized records and files and maintain confidential files.
Ability to handle various special projects on an ongoing basis while addressing daily needs for the office.
Ability to type at an accurate speed of 45 words per minute is an absolute minimum requirement.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Judith Lewis, Esquire
Barbara J. Hart Justice Center
P.O. Box 975
Scranton, PA 18501
Deadline: Tuesday, April 30, 2019