Teen Dating Abuse Prevention Program offered by the Women’s Resource Center
An evidence-based program, the Safe Dates curriculum educates youth on how to identify and prevent dating violence. This program has been shown to be effective in reducing dating violence victimization and perpetration across various demographics in grades 7-12. Research done four years after program implementation has shown participants report 56%-92% decrease in physical and sexual dating violence.
The goals of this program are:
- To raise student awareness of what constitutes healthy and abusive dating
- To raise student awareness of dating abuse and its causes and consequences.
- To equip students with the skills and resources to help themselves or friends in abusive dating relationships.
- To equip students with the skills to develop healthy dating relationships, including positive communication, anger management, and conflict resolution.
How does it work?
Staff from the Women’s Resource Center (WRC) will facilitate ten engaging sessions through which students will learn and discuss the causes of dating violence, how they can help a friend in an abusive relationship, common gender stereotypes regarding dating violence, and important prevention techniques. A student designed poster contest reinforces the messages from the curriculum and promotes positive social norms. Safe Dates can also be offered as a four or six session program, however the fidelity of the program and accompanying outcomes are best maintained by completing all ten sessions. WRC will work with each school to determine the best fit in the school’s existing curriculum.
There is no cost to the school district to implement the program
WHAT ARE PEOPLE SAYING ABOUT SAFE DATES PROGRAM?
- I never knew there were resources here for people who experience this. -9th grader
- I liked that we could talk about things (like dating abuse) that we would not normally talk about. -9th grader
- I learned a lot, and I especially liked the part about how to help a friend. – 10th grader
- I feel that this program was a great tool for my class especially with this age group. The stories and dialogues are really beneficial. –9th grade Health Teacher
- I would 100% welcome this program back into my classroom anytime it is offered. –9th grade Health Teacher
- This is another great resource for our students to have. We’ve already signed up for next year too! – 10th grade teacher
- The partnership with the Women’s Resource Center is of great value for our students. Understanding and learning the skills to develop healthy relationships will serve our students well now and in their future. – School Superintendent