JOB TITLE: Legal Advocate (Lackawanna County)
HOURS: Full time
CATEGORY: Professional Staff, exempt
RESPONSIBLE TO: Economic Advocacy Director
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Provide crisis intervention and empowerment counseling to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and stalking in a manner consistent with the mission of WRC and in full compliance with all policies and procedures of the agency. Advocate for program participants within the civil and criminal justice system and other related areas to help program participants navigate systems and ensure systems are responsive to needs of battered women and sexual assault victims.
1. * Uphold the mission of WRC and abide by WRC policies and procedures outlined in WRC General Operating Manual.
2. * Provide, by telephone or in-person, direct services including but not limited to: crisis response, support, advocacy, accompaniment (legal or medical), case management, individual counseling, and information and referral. Develop and monitor individual service plans with each individual program participant. Plan for and provide safe follow-up contact.
3. * Act as an advocate for program participants with legal, medical and other systems.
4. * Assist program participants in assessing their needs related to legal systems. Provide support and information regarding legal options
5. * Assess with program participants on an on-going basis their safety risks specific to involvement with legal systems.
6. * Conduct systems advocacy as planned by supervisor to improve the response to victims in all relevant systems including the community, law enforcement, courts, law profession, and social service organizations.
7. * Provide information and educational materials to program participants preparing for court filings or legal proceedings including but not limited to judicial protocols and court process/procedure
8. * Develop, update and distribute resource materials regarding victim’s compensation, victim’s rights, judicial system protocols, state and federal laws, pending legislation and public policy, and other related topics.
9. * Maintain program participant case records in accordance with WRC policy and procedure.
10. * Serve as agency on-call worker when assigned.
11. Develop educational materials for legal professionals, court personnel, district justices, and law enforcement officers. Participate in training seminars as assigned.
12. Establish and maintain working relationships with court and legal system personnel.
13. Update staff regarding court schedules, court system protocols, and other related activity.
14. * Participate in trainings required by funding sources and WRC.
15. * Participate in WRC legal advocacy team meetings.
16. Participate in WRC staff meetings, in-service training, and organization activities as assigned.
17. Participate in advocacy activities on a local level including but not limited to the Lackawanna County Domestic Violence Task Force.
18. Participate in advocacy activities on a local, state and national level, specifically, but not limited to, the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence (PCADV) Legal Committee, PCADV Legal Advocacy Committee, and the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape (PCAR) Legal Committee.
19. Other duties as assigned to further the safety and security of the person being served.
LEGAL ADVOCATE QUALIFICATIONS :
• Bachelor’s degree in social work or related human services field or
• A combination of four years education, experience and skill in working with victims of domestic violence and/or sexual assault.
• Applicant must successfully complete the WRC crisis intervention training within six months of hire.
• Travel is necessary and access to reliable transportation is essential, including for training and development which may necessitate being out of the area for a period of time over night stays.
• Pass Act 33, Act 34, FBI Clearances and required clearances to meet with incarcerated survivors.
• Must be willing to schedule working hours to coincide with the priorities of the Center.
Submit Letter of Application and Resume to:
Economic Advocacy Director
Women’s Resource Center, Inc.
PO Box 975
Scranton, Pa 18501
Or E-Mail to:
Deadline: Monday July 18, 2022